Author Topic: Program crashes when editing United States > Places  (Read 96 times)

RRich55

• View Profile
Program crashes when editing United States > Places
« on: October 27, 2022, 08:13:12 PM »
I was attempting to add a new city not on the default list by means of:
File > Radix > New Radix > Country > United States > Place > (dropdown arrow)

I entered the long & lat of the new city and then entered the time zone. Upon clicking "OK", I got an error message "List out of bounds (0)". Thereafter whenever I bring up Country = United States, no city list appears at all.

If I then attempt to enter a new place by hitting the Place button, I get the same error message.

I can enter any other country and a list of cities in that country is displayed, just not for United States.

I have already tried loading the latest update of Planetdance (as of today, 27/10/2022) but still same problem.

The same problem occurs now if I select Options > Default Place > Country = United States. No list of cities results.

I am running Planetdance on Windows 10 Pro, Version   10.0.19043 Build 19043

Can you help me with this please?

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Program crashes when editing United States > Places
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 08:34:10 PM »
Hi,

Since your database may be corrupted, can you delete the map C:\planetdance\plc, then update?

I can't duplicate this. What *exactly* are your steps?

Here's mine:
- In the places dialog on the left, at the top, enter United States, optionally enter a place nearby to get correct timezone.
- On the right, at the top, in stead of the current place enter a new name.
- change coordinates etc.
- click Add, and Ok twice and the place is added.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

RRich55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 03:46:55 PM »
Hi Jean,

I did what you said but that didn't seem to solve the problem. However, I did investigate a bit further and found that the updated copy of Planetdance appeared to have been installed in the root directory. I also found another copy in programs x86 dir > planetdance directory. I'm not sure if I'd originally had it installed there or ?. Anyway, I examined some of the country files within plc dir in the last mentioned instance. My US file did not seem consistent with the others in that 6 of the cities in that directory began with the single quote character ('). This seemed odd to me. So I deleted the prefixed ' symbols and then found that the Place selection function now worked.

I'm going to guess that somehow when I was in the process of entering a new city, somehow I did something that created this condition? Not really sure how that would have happened since I used the Add New Place window you provided and never before directly edited the United States file.

Anyway, it works now. So thanks for your help.

Bob

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:03:57 PM »
Better not install planetdance to c:\program files, it's probably the reason you got issues, that's why the installer suggests plain c:\planetdance in the root. Planetdance generates lots of files and the rights management in windows does not always agree.
Those places beginning with ' are perfectly ok, should not be a problem.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

RRich55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »
Ah! Ok. Thanks again.