Author Topic: Wrong asteroid and dwarf planet longitude values  (Read 128 times)

irbis

• View Profile
Wrong asteroid and dwarf planet longitude values
« on: November 29, 2022, 01:58:40 AM »
In the right side of the first image, you see two longitude values of various asteroids and dwarf planets.
The first set is from Options > Settings > Asteroid tab.
The second set is from Options > Objects.
The values of the second set are not correct.
You can view them from the first image, which is a screenshot of the Planetdance main window.
The second image is a screenshot of the PDF printout from Astrodienst and shows the correct values.

Steps to reproduce the bug:
Have radix chart in a database that was saved with Fagan/Bradley ayanamsa option selected from the radix window.
Have Fagan/Bradley ayanamsa selected from Settings > General tab. Then, open the radix chart in question from the database. If you have sidereal:None selected from Settings > General tab, the problem doesn't occur.

I am using Planetdance on Linux under Wine but I don't think that this is a Wine problem. This is so specific.

Also, the location of Pholus from the first set is not correct, but it looks like a different bug. It didn't go away when I selected sidereal:None from Settings > General tab.

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong asteroid and dwarf planet longitude values
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:05 AM »
i can't reproduce it, see pic, the horoscope was calculated with pagan/bradley and both eris/ceres are the same.
Does an update help?
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

irbis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 02:44:22 PM »
I am using the newest version of the program. Next I am going to test this by re-creating the database file because I have previously copied it from the old installation to the new one when I have updated the program. I can't currently test the program on Windows.

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 03:22:36 PM »
Should not make any difference, important is if a horoscope is calculated sidereal. I will try some more...

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »
It just works here. Try Horoscope - calculation - sidereal, both columns show identical values for Ceres, Eris..

irbis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
I re-downloaded the program, re-installed Wine settings in my home directory, re-installed Planetdance there, and did not copy any old setting or database files there.

Asteroid data looks mostly as it should, when (the steps):
1. I have sidereal:none selected from Options > Settings and when creating a radix chart, and then
2. I open the chart and select Horoscope > Calculation > Sidereal
Expect that Chiron and Pholus in the asteroids column still show 00:00 Aries using either sidereal or tropical zodiac. If someone else also sees this bug with Chiron and Pholus on the asteroid column, you should take a look at the SetupPlanetdance.exe and the ephemeris that it contains.

I closed the extra chart created by Horoscope > Calculation > Sidereal command. Then I did this and the objects column looked like it should:
1. Created a new radix chart and saved it with Fagan-Bradley ayanamsa selected on the radix window.
2. The program automatically opened the new chart.

Then:
1. I set ayanamsa to Fagan-Bradley from Opions > Settings > General tab.
1. I created a new radix chart and saved it with Fagan-Bradley ayanamsa selected on the radix window..
2. The program automatically opened the new chart. Now the longitude values in the Objects column were incorrect and also had become incorrect for the chart that I created in the previous paragraph and that was open in another tab.

It just works here. Try Horoscope - calculation - sidereal, both columns show identical values for Ceres, Eris..
This is not what I did in the last of my usage examples where the bug appears. It seems that you didn't use the steps that actually caused the bug. Instead, you did something like my first usage example in this post.

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 11:37:46 AM »
Found a bug.

December 1
- Asteroids from Options - Objects sometimes did not get the correct ayanamsha.

ABer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:09:27 PM »
Good work Jean - thanks for tracking this one down. Ed

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »
Yes irbis was right, i didn't look at the situation where you set a default ayanamsha in options.

Btw if you set some ayanamsha in the input dialog, it takes precedence above the global one from options, this should now also be default behavior everywhere.

irbis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 01:21:48 AM »
You fixed the Options - Objects asteroid bug. Thanks. I did a clean install and tested it.

On the first asteroids column. the longitude of Chiron and Pholus is still 00:00 Aries.

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 02:10:23 PM »
December 2
- Chiron and Pholus in the column were not calculated correctly.