Author Topic: Installation error and subsequent failure of Planetdance to start after update.  (Read 997 times)

NeptuneLurkey

• View Profile
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum and and hate meeting under bad circumstances but my quick skimming of the forum hasn't found a thread that deals with this issue, so here is the problem.

I've been a happy and amazed user of Planetdance and I am extremely impressed with its capabilities.  When I updated Planetdance early today, I noticed that the program opens up as usual, but then abruptly closes after about 4-5 seconds; making the application unusable. 

So after trying a fresh re-install from the web into the default location (C:\Planetdance), I go to run the setup, it installs, but with the following error showing up after installation when choosing to launch Planetdance after the install:

"Internal error: CallSpawnServer: Unexpected response: $0"

When I then try to run Planetdance after the new installation, it abruptly exits after about 4-5 seconds as it did after the original update.  Not allowing me to set the default location.

I've tried reinstalling with my personal firewall disabled but with the same result.

Please help!  The planets are dancing and I can't see them!   :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:16:16 PM by NeptuneLurkey »

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

The error is from the installer, somehow that process is still active and complains. It says 'internal error' so this must be some strange issue.
Did you try a reboot and try to install again? Please note that planetdance should be closed before updating.
The firewall setting only affects planetdance's way of updating itself, regardless of firewall you can always re-download from the site.
If it still exits, what you could do is rename c:\planetdance\pd.ini to something else, then restart it.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

NeptuneLurkey

• View Profile
Thanks for the fast response Jean.

I just did a manual cold-boot and tried installing again.  Got the same error from the installer.  Checked Pd, and it still exits after 4-5 seconds.

Tried renaming pd.ini and relaunched but pd still exits after 4-5 seconds.

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Strange.

There are two issues here, the error from the installer. That is not my software so i have no control over it. It is very widely used however and should function. I also have no explanation for that error. Only thing i could think of is that setupplanetdance.exe is somehow corrupted, maybe a new download could help but you may have tried that already.

The other issue is the strange behaviour from planetdance itself. Shortly after a new install, the window with the what'snew text comes up, do you see that window?

Then there's another thing you can try, download https://jcremers.com/pd.exe and replace your copy with that one, at least you'd be sure you have the latest pd.exe

If that problem persists i can make a debug build that generates a logfile.

Another thing you could try is install into some other map, see what it does.

NeptuneLurkey

• View Profile
Only thing i could think of is that setupplanetdance.exe is somehow corrupted, maybe a new download could help but you may have tried that already.
Yes I have tried that.  same results. 

The other issue is the strange behaviour from planetdance itself. Shortly after a new install, the window with the what'snew text comes up, do you see that window?
No.  All I see is the box asking me to enter the default place.  It closes before I can choose anything except for one time when I was able to select the default place and then it started repeated the default date format box; seems as if the options are being saved but the main application always exits.

Then there's another thing you can try, download https://jcremers.com/pd.exe and replace your copy with that one, at least you'd be sure you have the latest pd.exe
Tried that, and it still exists after 4-5 seconds.  I do note that just before Pd exits, the busy pointer spins for half a second before the window closes.  I don't know if that helps you or not.

Another thing you could try is install into some other map, see what it does.
I was originally installing Planetdance to my second HD and was using it regularly.  When I install in another place it still closes abruptly after 4-5 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:41:28 PM by NeptuneLurkey »

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I meant try to install fresh to some brand new map like c:\test, see if you get the same errors.
I'm sure if you install to some other pc it would work, this is very specific.

If you edit c:\planetdance\pd.ini and change these two to 1 it will skip the dialog for a new place and the one for dateformat/language, see if it starts after this.

[main]
defplaceset=1
localeset=1

If you also would like to skip the window with what'snew do this
whatsnew=9999999999

That is 10 times a 9.

NeptuneLurkey

• View Profile
I meant try to install fresh to some brand new map like c:\test, see if you get the same errors.
I'm sure if you install to some other pc it would work, this is very specific.
Ok Jean.  after uninstalling I reinstalled under C:\test and I get the same results.

If you edit c:\planetdance\pd.ini and change these two to 1 it will skip the dialog for a new place and the one for dateformat/language, see if it starts after this. ...
Changed to the recommended values along with the whatsnew=999999999 and the whatsnew window still popped up after first launch, but subsequent launches have the whatsnew window removed.

Now Planetdance is behaving as it did from the first update, and just abruptly closes after 4-5 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:28:23 PM by NeptuneLurkey »

NeptuneLurkey

• View Profile
Hello again Jean.  I opened an administrative command prompt and tried to run Pd in "safe mode" and the program would not run at all.  So then I booted back up and suddenly Pd started working properly.  I don't know what happened but apparently whatever got scrambled on my end has now corrected itself.  Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks again for all you do!!

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Glad you found a fix!
As for what caused all this it's hard to say also because it was resistant between the first reboots you did.