Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 394 times)

Jairo Amaral

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: June 25, 2024, 04:43:31 AM »
Hello,

Maybe I'm an unusual guest here. I'm an agnostic and I don't belive in astrology, but I teach history of astronomy in a master's degree, in Brazil. I know the basics of occidental astrology since childhood. I'm interested in ensuring every future master in astronomy know some of it too, because I believe we all have much to loose if this contact is severed. Pretty much every astronomer in medieval or ancient times were also working with astrology.

From my background, I understand how to calculate the ephemerids. But beyond that, I believe this is the place to ask questions. If you don't mind, I'd love to lurk here and make questions here and there.
Jairo C. Amaral

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 07:18:47 AM »
Unusual indeed but not unwelcome. Myself i'm an absolute noob in astronomy, in fact the software has a script language and one of the reasons for it is that people with more understanding of astronomy can help me out with things.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

Jairo Amaral

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 07:29:22 AM »
Just to give a little more of background (or my lack of), my first contact with astrology was many decades ago with the book "First Steps in Astrology" by Preston Crowmarsh. I also know the Tetrabyblos from Ptolemy, since he was a bottleneck that transmitted most of Ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian knowledge into Western Astrology. I have little base for the other types of astrology, like Vedic, Arab or Chinese. I'm slowly learning as I use Planetdance.

As for a first question, I looked in the help and I couldn't find out: In Planetdance main screen, there is a table on the upper right, showing planets in different sections, like fire, earth, air and water. But what do the numbers associated with each one mean? Is it a sum of weights?

Thanks in advance.
Jairo C. Amaral

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 09:37:58 AM »
Yes those are weights, in sign as well as in house. The values can be set in options - settings - extra , on the right Points.
Tip, if you do Help and click Search, you can enter a search term, for instance 'elements', it will search all occasions. The help needs some work though, there are lots of dead links.
Myself i'm not very familiar with astrology history, i am mainly into modern western astro, my favorite writer is Liz Greene, but Ed, who codes most of the classical sections, knows a lot about it.

ps, there are some many modules that have their own weight system.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>